On May 10th we went to the anniversary of the wedding of the rails. We witnessed the re-enactment of this historical event. All though I have to admit it was probably boring for the boys other than the fact that the trains kept ringing their bells and blowing their horns. After the re-enactment and a quick steam engine demonstration the guests were allowed to climb onto the trains. Kenny and Colton enjoyed being aboard the Jupiter.
Colton got a train whistle and still enjoys blowing it. Tucker just was there because he had to be. But I really enjoyed my time. I loved cheering out with a loud "Hip Hip Hooray!" And hearing the actors saying "here, here" every time they agreed with something that had been said, always brought a smile to my face. But my favorite part was by far the prayer that had been said. Even 145 years later I could still feel the power of that prayer. It also made me feel a little sad that our nation has fallen so far away from our Heavenly Father that if this event had happened now in our day there would not have been a prayer said or even a mention of God.
It is still amazing to me to see how much labor went into the building of the rails. Can you actually believe they laid down ten miles of tracks in one day? That is an amazing feat. I am glad that we were able to go and appreciate all the hard work that those men did. Some even lost their lives building the rails. And now they are just something we take for granted.

2 comments:
That is so neat. Wish I could have come.
That's cool. Maybe next year we'll all have to go.
Post a Comment